Monday, 21 January 2013

First post of 2013

Happy New Year!!! I'm grateful to God that I'm still around on this side of eternity. Thank you Lord.
I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and the new year has not been too bad?

I had a nice and quiet Christmas with just family and a family friend came over for new year. We had a lovely time. Heard an interesting revelation (family friend told me he loved me) and lots of arguments too over school with the parents.
Anyway, I've been so busy with school. I don't mind though, because I love what I'm doing now and that makes a whole lot of difference.
I have ignored a lot of things that I probably need to face and sort out like letters from old university and things related to it and e-mails to be replied. I should really sort them out, but I get that sick feeling when I even think about my former university and everything to do with it. Oh well. Whatever!

Sooo, I have been addicted to YouTube a lot more this year. It's like the new TV. Who needs TV anymore when you have YouTube? NO ONE!
Last night, I bumped into this show- 'All American Muslim' on YouTube and I have watched all 8 episodes. It's a reality show of 5 Shia Muslim families in Dearborn, Michigan.
I am a Christian and since 9/11 in America and the 7/7 bombings in London, I'll be honest and say that I have been a bit wary of Muslims especially those who wear the Niqab and those with the big beards and all. Yes, I have been. I'm just been honest.
There have been so many stereotypes that I've grow up hearing from family, friends, neighbours, MEDIA and people in general here in the UK and it gets to you and you start to believe them. Something that stood out for me was that I started to see the women after a couple of episodes as people and individuals and not just random women who all look alike. Yes, I am been honest. I saw past the hijabs and saw them for who they are with their different personalities and thought processes.
I know this sounds really silly, but muslims are people just like me with family problems and rebels in the family and other things I worry about.
Something else that stood out for me was when one of the brother and sister went to Washington to visit Ground Zero and get a tattoo and the tattoo artist was an Israeli and the brother and sister are Arabs with roots in Lebanon. The tattoo artist said, 'it's sad that we have to leave our country to be friends'. I paused the video, sat down and said 'wow'. After discussing with the tattoo artist, they realized that even though their countries are still at loggerheads with each other, they as individuals still faced the same problems like been blacklisted in most countries because of their ancestral passports, colour, religion etc.

It's interesting to know that even though I have thought of myself as been tolerant of other's beliefs, I actually was not and I am not there yet, but I am pleased that I am learning to be. I might not believe or think other beliefs are right or lead to my God,(Yes, I am been honest) but I can tolerate and not judge or condemn others. It certainly will make the world a better place. Life is hard enough as it is without thinking we are superior to others

I loved the sense of community within their Arab community in Michigan. It's the sort of community that I kind of wish I grew up in-having other families close by that share your faith and beliefs and have similar traditions to yours. It's great to be able to go out into the big bad world and know that at the end of the day, when you're fed up with the 'outside world', you always have your community to come back home to. However, I'm not too sure I would have totally loved it. I like my space and privacy and I know how much Nigerians or some Nigerians like to be 'all up in your bidness'
I really liked the show and I kinda wish there was a second season, but because of err reasons that I can't be bothered to get into, I'll leave it at that. Here's the first episode anyway...

Bless.x

3 comments:

  1. Happy new Year dear.. Im your Youtube partner in crime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy new year to you. Hope you had a lovely Christmas?
      Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only YouTube addict.

      Delete
  2. You tube isnt a substitute for TV yet o. It is quite addictive shaa.

    Thanks for sharing the lessons you have learnt from watching this series.
    I believe introspection is good for the soul because through it, we often find we have hidden prejudices which were imbibed unthinkingly.

    ReplyDelete

Say what...?