Monday, 1 April 2013

Am I bovvered?

I wonder why people strive so much to be like others. I mean, it's one thing to see someone doing well in certain areas of their lives that you aren't up to par in and then trying to work hard to emulate their success and be better if possible, but it's another issue when you just want to BE LIKE someone else or you do things just because everyone is doing it.

I always think, sod it! I wasn't born on the same day as everybody and even if I was, I am me! I am running/walking/strolling on MY OWN lane in MY OWN race in life. I did not start this race with anybody neither am I in competition with anybody or care much about what anybody else is doing (apart from a couple of times I get a bit down). This is something I'm continuously belting out to my mum when she gets into her A is now a pharmacist and engaged, B is doing his masters and will be graduating soon or C is already married and just a couple of years older than you.
I think it irks mama that I'm just so laissez faire when it comes to these sort of things. Typical conversation between us goes like-
Mum: 'Ohhh, she's a Doctor now o' You know, she's even engaged to to a chemical engineer who works in Shell (or whatever oil company).
Me: 'That's lovely! *insert smile/continues with what I'm doing*
I look at mum from the corner of my eyes and she's just staring at me intently most likely thinking' Jesu Olorun, what am I going to do with this girl.'
 

Thing is, apart from my sporadic meltdowns on how 'rubbishy' my life is like in this post, I frankly just don't care. 
I'm glad I don't too because if I did, I would be close to finishing university now but be an extremely miserable git who was doing what everyone expected of her despite not hating every minute of it. 
I'm glad I don't care enough to make the things going on around me make me literally suffer in silence.

I LOVE what I'm doing now and I know that there are so many opportunities out there for me and I get so excited when I think about my future and what it holds for me careerwise anyway. I actually get giddy with joy and tear up a little bit (there are VERY few things that make me emotional).

For once, instead of been a responsible good girl, I am glad that I don't care. :-)

PS:{I love my mum and I know she loves me too, and wants me to do well in life and be able to stand amongst my mates with my head and shoulder held high. She's just got a different way of trying to 'motivate' me I guess.}

2 comments:

  1. That's the way to go. At least you know yourself enough to know what makes you happy and you're not too scared to go for it. Hi5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi5!!!
      Life is too short to please others and be miserable. YOLO :D ;-)

      Delete

Say what...?